Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is by far the best clam chowder recipe ever. My Mom used to make this and there was never any left for the next day. I use minced clams because I don't like the whole ones, but whole clams can be substituted easily.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 5 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans clams (minced or diced)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup butter (no substitutes)
- In large 4 quart pan brown bacon, onion and celery until onion and celery are transparent.
- Add clam juice from both cans clams and diced potatoes to bacon mixture.
- Pour enough water to cover potatoes and boil until potatoes are tender.
- In a separate large sauce pan melt 2 cubes butter on low heat.
- When butter is melted, slowly add 3/4 cup flour stirring constantly.
- Add 1 quart half and half STIR WITH WIRE WHISK until thick and smooth (very important).
- Pour over undrained vegetable mixture add vinegar and heat through.
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder to taste.
This was wonderful !!!!! I used all of the bacon and fat free 1/2 and 1/2. I served this in a bread bowl and it was so delish!!! Thanks nmomsmemory for another memorable recipe. Made for PAC Spring '09
This recipe is certainly a keeper for me! I've been looking for a good clam chowder recipe, & this one is great! Did make one change, though, because I'm not too keen on a lot of bacon ~ I used only 2 slices, & was totally satisfied with the results! Very, very nice, & thanks for posting it!