Being German, fall reminds me of Oktober fest, brats and beer! BUT brats also remind me of football games and the north woods too! This is a different type of brat recipe, esp with the addition of the marinated/grilled onions. From a grilling website. Prep time is marinating time and these can be done on a tabletop grill, outside or over the campfire.
- In a large dish or platter, mix the oil, vinegar, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Cut the onions crosswise into 1/3-inch slices.
- Gently turn the slices over in the oil mixture, being careful to keep the slices from falling apart.
- Set aside at room temperature for 2 to 4 hours to marinate.
- Grill the onions and brats over Direct Medium heat until the onions are tender and the brats are browned, 10 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Serve the brats inside the rolls and arrange the onions on top.
- Pass the mustard.
- Serve warm.
Loved the change from Brats with beer! The onions had a wonderful flavor. We used sweet onions instead of red, because thats what we had on hand. They turned out great with the marinade! Thanks so much for the recipe!
Good stuff! A little different from how I usually make it, but good!
Different from how we normally cook our brats- but nice. Liked the way the onions were seasoned and this way let them stay firm- rather than cooking in the beer for hours and getting mushy. Great recipe! PS I know there will be some diehard brat lovers gasping here but I made turkey brats to reduce the fat and calories! They came out really nice! thanks for a great recipe!