Recipe by LAURIE
Being German, fall reminds me of Oktober fest, brats and beer! BUT brats also remind me of football games and the north woods too! This is a different type of brat recipe, esp with the addition of the marinated/grilled onions. From a grilling website. Prep time is marinating time and these can be done on a tabletop grill, outside or over the campfire.
Top Review by TheShields
Loved the change from Brats with beer! The onions had a wonderful flavor. We used sweet onions instead of red, because thats what we had on hand. They turned out great with the marinade! Thanks so much for the recipe!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 medium red onions
- 6 bratwursts (Johnsonville are my recommendation)
- 6 hot dog buns (or brat buns)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large dish or platter, mix the oil, vinegar, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Cut the onions crosswise into 1/3-inch slices.
- Gently turn the slices over in the oil mixture, being careful to keep the slices from falling apart.
- Set aside at room temperature for 2 to 4 hours to marinate.
- Grill the onions and brats over Direct Medium heat until the onions are tender and the brats are browned, 10 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Serve the brats inside the rolls and arrange the onions on top.
- Pass the mustard.
- Serve warm.