Being German, fall reminds me of Oktober fest, brats and beer! BUT brats also remind me of football games and the north woods too! This is a different type of brat recipe, esp with the addition of the marinated/grilled onions. From a grilling website. Prep time is marinating time and these can be done on a tabletop grill, outside or over the campfire.
- In a large dish or platter, mix the oil, vinegar, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Cut the onions crosswise into 1/3-inch slices.
- Gently turn the slices over in the oil mixture, being careful to keep the slices from falling apart.
- Set aside at room temperature for 2 to 4 hours to marinate.
- Grill the onions and brats over Direct Medium heat until the onions are tender and the brats are browned, 10 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Serve the brats inside the rolls and arrange the onions on top.
- Pass the mustard.
- Serve warm.