Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great recipe for the summertime.
- Simmer brats in water to cook.
- Be careful not to boil or the casings may crack.
- Brown the brats on a grill and put them into the sauce to add flavor and keep warm without overcooking until ready to serve.
- To make the sauce put all of the sauce ingredients together in a small loaf type pan and warm on the grill and after the brats are grilled, place the brats in the sauce on the grill.
- To serve: Use a good brat bun, spoon in a bit of sauce into the bun with some of the onion.
- Add the brat and top with your favorite condiments; mustard, ketsup, chopped onion and/or relish.
- The smell will attract hundreds of people.
Maybe I´m wrong and that´s a recipe I´ve never heard of, but I think there´s a big mistake in it. I´m living in germany all of my live and I´ve never ever seen anybody cook his bratwurst or even heard of it. It belongs on a grill or into a pan and not into a pot of boiling water! If it was me, I´d make them as follows: Put the brats in a pan and fry them on medium heat, brush them with some of the beer every once in a while, and when they are done put the remaining ingrediensts for the sauce into the pan.
we have done Brats like this many times, and we love them this way.
Nice trouble-free brat recipe here. I simmered for 15 minutes then grilled them as secret said to do. Which added a nice crunch to the outside. With the sauce, I simmered on low until it was reduced by half.