Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Brats cooked in onion,kraut, garlic and mustard. Great meal ! Source: Shadows Original
- 2 bratwursts, fresh
- 1 onion, 2 inches in diameter, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, large, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup sauerkraut
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 1 tablespoon Grey Poupon mustard
- Place all in a 7 inch skillet.
- Cover .
- Bring to a boil for 20 minutes.
- Stir and turn the brats over.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes more.
- Add beer as need to prevent burning.
- Serve on heated plates with kraut and onion on top or serve on rolls with added mustard.
- I sometimes crumble Stilton cheese on top.
Made as posted and served on hoagie rolls. Sloppy eating but very tasty and I will make these again. The onion and kraut make a great topper. Thanks for posting Shadows. Made for Choose Your Event Party.
This is not the most attractive dish to serve but it makes up for it with flavor. I enjoyed every morsel. I had some leftover Cowboy beans so I served those along side - very good together.Next time I make it I will crumble some stilton on top I think it will be wonderful. Thanks Shadows for posting this tasty recipe. I made it a second time but allowed the moisture to totally evaporate and the Brats browned nicely as did the onion mixture. Do not be shocked when you remove the lid after the firt 20 minute simmer - I looks like messy soup, keep going - the end result is tasty and really quite attractive.
Because of Bergy's photo I had to try this, mmm she was right, not beautiful but very very flavourful!! thanks for posting!!