Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
A traditional German dessert consisting of an apple which has been stuffed and baked, then served with a warm vanilla cream sauce. Great way to end Christmas Eve dinner.
- 4 medium apples
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup raisins, soaked in rum
- 1⁄8 cup apple jelly
- 1⁄8 cup honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 cup butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄8 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vanilla sugar
- 1⁄8 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- Wash the apples and remove the core. Place the apples in a greased oven proof dish. Mix together the walnuts, raisins, apple jelly, honey and cinnamon and fill the apple centres. Place slices of butter over the apples.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 for about 30 minutes. They should be soft when cooked. If not eaten immediately, cover with aluminium foil. Enjoy your German christmas recipe served with warm vanilla dessert sauce.
- To Make Dessert Sauce:Beat the egg yolks with the cornstarch, sugar and vanilla sugar to a smooth paste free from lumps. Then whisk in the milk.
- Split the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape out the seeds. Mix the seeds and pod into the egg and milk mixture.
- Heat in a pan over a medium heat until the sauce thickens. Do not allow to boil. Remove the vanilla pod and serve immediately.