Recipe by rpgaymer
"Apples are roasted in wine and butter for this dessert, a staple of holiday markets throughout Germany." - Saveur
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 tart apples, such as Gala
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- whipped cream, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Combine raisins, walnuts, sugar, rum, and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Core apples, and place right-side up in a 9" x 13" baking dish. Fill each apple with 1/4 cup walnut mixture, add wine and butter to baking dish, and drizzle each apple with honey; cover tightly with foil, and bake until apples are tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle with cinnamon and let cool slightly; serve in bowls with pan sauce and a dollop of whipped cream on the side.