Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, plus additional
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, for topping
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- Beat together the shortening, 1 cup sugar and eggs.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Combine the mixtures.
- Add sour cream and vanilla and beat together.
- Then add 3/4 cup nuts (the original recipe called for raisins).
- Pour 1/2 of the batter into tube pan.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup nuts on top, then add the rest of the batter.
- Mix 3/4 cup sugar and a little cinnamon and sprinkle on cake.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for approximately 1 hour.
- Note: The family decorates the cake with maraschino cherry halves and walnut halves.