Recipe by koeksister
This is a South African classic. I served this at a South African night held in our small Canadian town and everybody wanted the recipe.
- 250 g stoned dates, diced
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100 g butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped pecans
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
Directions See How It's Made
- * To Make Tart:.
- Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda over the dates. Pour the boiling water over the dates. Leave to cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. When the butter mixture is light and creamy, gradually beat in the egg.
- Sift the dry ingredients. Alternately fold the dry ingredients and the date mixture into the creamed mixture, using a metal spoon.
- Pour into a greased 25 cm pie dish or cake tin.
- Bake at 180 C (350 F) for 45 minutes until dark brown and done.
- Prepare the sauce and pour over the hot tart.
- * To Make Sauce:.
- Bring the sugar, water and butter to the boil. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and brandy. Pour the warm sauce over the hot cake and leave to cool.
- Cut the tart into equal portions.
- Fill a large piping bag with 1 cup whipped fresh cream.
- Pipe a large curl of cream on each serving. Add a sprinkling of chopped pecan nuts.