Recipe by sparklejem00
A Little Slice of Heaven! This recipe comes from the January 2006 O Magazine. Serve this tart with warm brandy sauce and it's perfect for any holiday celebration.
Top Review by Veri Bartie
Delicious, it really is a slice of food heaven! Really easy to make, especially the sauce. Perfect amount of tart for 7 to 8 people, my only suggestion would be to make a little extra rum/brandy sauce. Goes down a treat with vanilla ice-cream.
- 1 cup pitted chopped dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup brandy or 1⁄4 cup rum
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the tart: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place dates in a small bowl. Pour in boiling water and add baking soda. Let dates stand for 10 minutes or until soft.
- In large bowl, combine butter and sugar and beat with electric mixer until creamy. Beat in egg.
- Sift in flour, salt and baking powder. Add dates, water and nuts. Mix well.
- Line a lightly sprayed or buttered 9-inch aluminum pie plate with parchment paper. Pour in batter and bake 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out dry.
- To make brandy sauce: Combine sugar with water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and stir frequently until sugar is dissolved (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla, followed by brandy.
- Before serving, remove from pie plate and allow to cool slightly.
- Cut tart into wedges and top with warm brandy sauce.