Recipe by French Tart
I made these with bits and bobs from the fridge & the pantry; I had half a baguette left & some Boursin Herb & Garlic cream cheese plus a few mushrooms and a bit of creme fraiche. The Cognac was an inspirational afterthought, and it worked a treat!!! I am now thinking these would make a great starter, as well as a simple supper dish. I garnished them with some fresh lovage from the garden which gave them a lovely celery-lemon flavour! I love anything on toast, and this will be a new but firm favourite now!
Top Review by wicked cook 46
10 stars if I could but then we are crazy for mushrooms LOL I used a small baquette so the slices could be picked up and were two bites . Used baby bellas and sour cream since I had no creme fraiche. Plus I made my own herb cream cheese since we don't care for the taste of store bought. I also did a rough chop on the mushrooms so they would fit on the smaller bread slices. Each bite was creamy mushroom heaven. Definite keeper and going in my Faves of 2009 CB. Made for PAC Spring 2009. Thanks FT for a delightful recipe that both my DH and I said " This is so good it could be a meal "
- 1 lb field mushroom, wiped & sliced
- 1⁄2 French baguettes, sliced or 6 slices bread
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 2 ounces cream cheese with garlic and herbs or 2 ounces boursin cheese
- 1 -2 tablespoon cognac or 1 -2 tablespoon brandy
- black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh lovage (optional) or 2 sprigs fresh parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the baguette into 6 slices.
- Wipe clean the mushrooms and slice.
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan and add the mushrooms. Cook over a medium heat until tinged brown & all of the mushroom juice has evaporated.
- Add the cognac/brandy and stir well.
- Drop the toast into the toaster on a low to medium setting.
- Add the creme fraiche to the mushrooms & stir well.
- Season generously with black pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Spread the toast with the Boursin or herb & garlic cream cheese.
- Pour the hot creamy mushrooms over the top of the cream cheese toast, garnish & eat immediately!