Recipe by Mille®
This recipe from the south-east of England is a simple way to serve cherries, which shows them off at their best, steeped in a spicy alcoholic syrup and accompanied by a light orange cream.
- 2 lbs fresh cherries, stoned
- 1⁄2 ounce sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 oranges, zest and juice of
- 2 tablespoons red currant jelly
- 4 tablespoons cherry brandy or 4 tablespoons plain brandy
- 5 fluid ounces heavy cream
- 5 ounces plain yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the cherries in a saucepan with the sugar, cinnamon, half the orange zest and the juice of both oranges.
- Cover and cook over a low heat for about 10 minutes or until the cherries are soft and the juice runs.
- Stir in the redcurrant jelly and the brandy and cook gently until the jelly melts; cool, then chill.
- Mix the remaining orange zest and the cream together in a bowl.
- Whip until the cream just holds its shape, and then fold in the yogurt.
- Serve the cherries in brandy, with the orange cream handed separately.