Prep 0 mins
Cook 4 hrs
The holiday section of the Engery Savers Cookbook
- 1 1⁄2 cups candied red cherries, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry
- 2 cups white raisins
- 2 1⁄2 cups brandy
- 3⁄4 lb butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups coarsely crushed walnuts
- 2 cups roasted crushed hazelnuts
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- powdered vanilla sugar
- 1 whole walnuts, decoration
- Mix the cherries, raisins, and 2 cups of brandy and set aside.
- Cream butter until fluffy. Add sugars one cup at a time beathing well after each addition. Add 1 cup flour and the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Add remaining flour, the cherry mixture and mix well. Then add the walnuts, hazlenuts, baking powder, allspice, cinnamon and ginger. Blend well.
- Butter two 6 cup steamed pudding molds and sprinkle generously with sugar. Fill molds with batter, cover tightly with foil and lid then place each mold into a large pot of hot water. Water should be 2/3 up side of mold. Bring to boil and reduce heat and simmer for 3 1/2 hours.
- Cool cakes for 25 minutes, then loosen with a knife and invert onto platter. Sprinkle with sugar and decorate with cherries and walnuts.
- Warm 1/2 cup brandy slightly in a ladle or small pot, ignite and pour over decorated cake just before serving.
- You may wrap cooled cake and refrigerate for 2 to 3 weeks. Before serving removil the foil and plastic, rewrap in foil and warm in dutch oven over low fire. Then ignite brandy and pour on top of cake.