Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a slight adaptation of a wonderful recipe from the chef Simon Rimmer. Baked apples are a lovely desert in the chilly weather, but the addition of exotic fruit and brandy lends them a bit of summer! Quantities are for 2 and prep time does not include soaking the fruit.
- 2 large cooking apples
- 3 ounces dried tropical fruit (mango, papaya etc)
- 1⁄4 cup brandy or 1⁄4 cup rum
- 1 ounce soft brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 3 1⁄2 ounces butter
- Soak the dried fruit in the brandy (or rum if you're using that) overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300°F and core the cooking apples, leaving them whole and unpeeled.
- Mix the sugar, butter and allspice in to the fruit and brandy mixture then stuff the cavity of the apples with it.
- Put the apples in a dish, cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for a further 10 minutes or until apples are soft.
- Serve with heavy cream or ice cream.