Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A nice addition instead of potatoes. We have this with cornish game hens. Cook time includes 20 minute cool down time for the sauce .
- 1 cup brandy
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, diced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups stuffing cubes (cubed, dried bread) or 5 cups your favourite recipe for prepared stuffing
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 egg, whisked
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 2 quart casserole.
- In a small saucepan; heat brandy and the apricots to boiling, stir well.
- Remove from heat and set pan aside.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium high heat in a large saute pan, add the celery, onion and garlic, saute until lightly brown, about 2 minutes Add the brandy and apricots to the saute pan, cook until half the liquid reduces.
- Remove from heat and cool In a large mixing bowl, combine the brandy/ apricot sauce, stuffing cubes, vegetable or chicken broth, almonds, cranberries, thyme and pepper- taste to adjust seasonings, add whisked egg.
- Toss gently to mix Spoon into oiled casserole dish, cover with lid.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until throughly heated.
I was amazed at the simplicity of this dish and the taste was wonderful. I made it for my mother's birthday and it was a hit.