Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I clipped this recipe from a Southern Living many years ago. It makes a great friend/neighbor gift for the holidays! Allow for time for the raisins to soak in the brandy.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup brandy, plus
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup applesauce
- Combine raisins and brandy, stirring well; cover and refrigerate several hour or overnight.
- Line a 9x5x3 inch loafpan with waxed or parchment paper; grease and set aside.
- Cream shortening;gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Add egg, mixing well.
- Combine 1 2/3 cups flour, soda,salt,and spices;add to creamed mixture alternately with applesauce, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Dredge pecans and raisins in remaining 1/3 cup flour; stir to coat well; fold into batter.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until done.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely.
- Wrap in aluminum foil and store in refrigerator.