1/1 Photo of Brandy-Apple Mini Pies With Cornmeal Crust
1 hr 30 mins
These little babies are as close to PERFECT as any pie I've ever made. The cornmeal crust has a hearty flavor, but delicate texture. The Brandy syrup saturates the apples and wafts through the house with an intoxicating perfume! If only you could bottle the aroma!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 -5 tablespoons ice water
- 3 -4 large tart green apples, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1Add the flour, cornmeal, powdered sugar, and salt to the food processor. Pulse a couple times. Then cut the shortening in to cubes and pulse it into the dry mixture.
- 2Add 3 Tb. of ice water and pulse until the dough comes together. Add a little more water if needed.
- 3Dump the dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap and divide it into a large and small piece--80/20. Shape the dough into two disks, then wrap both pieces and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- 4Peel and dice the apples. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- 5In a small sauce pan, add the butter and remaining six ingredients over medium heat. Stir and bring to a simmer. Pour the syrup over the apple and toss.
- 6Take the larger disk of dough out of the fridge. Roll it out on a well-floured work surface to approximately 1/8 inch thick. Using a drinking glass with a 3 ½ -4 inch wide rim, cut out dough circles. Press the dough circles into muffin tins—if you gather the extra pieces and re-roll, you should be able to get 14-16.
- 7Fill each crust with an equal portion of apple mixture.
- 8Roll out the smaller piece of dough. Using a 2-3 inch decorative cookie cutter, cut out “tops” for each pie. Place each top on the pies and Brush them with the remaining syrup from the apple bowl.
- 9Bake the mini pies for 15 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F, and bake another 15 minutes. If the tops are golden after the first 15 minutes, lay a sheet of foil over them.
- 10Allow the pies to cool completely before trying to remove them from the muffin tins.
- 11NOTES~ Silicone muffin pans make it extremely easy to extract the pies. If using metal muffin tins, run a small sharp knife around ONE rim at a time, and gently dump one pie out into your hand, before moving on to the next.
- 12If you would like to make this as a whole 9 inch pie, make the crust as directed and split the dough into equal pieces. Then DOUBLE the amount of apples and syrup mixture. Bake the pie for 30 minutes at 425, then 30 minutes at 350!
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brandy-Apple Mini Pies With Cornmeal Crust
Serving Size: 1 (1483 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 312.0
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 8.7 mg
- Sodium 265.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 14.9 g
- Protein 2.4 g