Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
I got this recipe from a friend of mine and it comes out better than before. The brandy gives it a very nice aroma, and sometimes my hand goes a little heavy when i add it! It's a very simple recipe with amazing flavor. I prefer using honeycrisp apples for this recipe, fuji apples are fine too. And I usually have the apple and nuts soaking in the brandy while I am putting the rest of the ingredients together. Ingredients where you can adjust the amounts: brandy, apples, nuts.
For the cake
- 1 1⁄2 cups canola oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups walnuts or 1 1⁄4 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
- 3 1⁄4 cups apples, peeled (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
For the glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat a 10 inch bundt cake pan with cooking spray and flour.
- In a large bowl and electric mixer, beat the oil and sugar until thick and SMOOTH. Beat in the eggs. Mix in the cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Then mix in the flour.
- Fold in nuts, apples, and brandy. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. Pour into pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until knife comes out clean.
- Let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix in the ingredients for the glaze.
- Remove cake from pan (it helps to separate the outer edges with a plastic cake spatula before doing so). Pour glaze over it.