Recipe by Cristina Barry
www.foodtv; Emeril's Scratch Contest
Top Review by HeyJami
I made this with 11 cups of apricots instead of 20 peaches. I used french brandy. Overall, very nice flavor - sweet and rich. Would be great for a marinade or meat glaze. A little too cinnamon-y for our tastes so next time we'll put only 1 stick in. I had to come back with pectin to give it enough body/to get it more firm. I used Pomona's Universal Pectin. And, do NOT simmer jars for 10 mins - 10 mins in a boiling water bath is necessary to follow proper canning procedures. Thanks for the recipe!
- 20 peaches, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 9 cups sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons whole juniper berries
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 cup good-quality brandy
Directions See How It's Made
- In large heavy pot, combine peaches and sugar.
- Place all spices in cheesecloth and drop into pot with peaches.
- Add lemon peel and brandy.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until fruit becomes transparent, approximately 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Skim foam from top as needed.
- Discard spices; ladle fruit into hot sterilized jars and seal at once.
- Simmer jars for 10 minutes in water bath.