Top Review by sofie-a-toast
Great sauce, fun cooking! We made this to use in meatball subs and it definitely held it's own and I loved that it had so many veggies hidden within! I did feel like it was missing a little spice. The mushrooms gave it a bit of a flat aftertaste. Will experiment to make it perfect!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 small leek, white part, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1⁄4 cup madeira wine, plus
- 1 tablespoon madeira wine
- 3 tomatoes, chopped (or use canned)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, mushrooms, shallot, leek, and salt until soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add brandy and 1/4 cup Madeira. Turn heat to high and CAREFULLY ignite the alcohol using a match or bbq lighter (be sure your stove fan is turned off). Cook over high heat until flames die out. Reduce temperature to medium-high and cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add chicken stock, tomatoes, thyme, and bay leaf. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Puree in a food processor or blender. Strain if desired. Return to pan and place over medium heat. Whisk in remaining tablespoon butter, broken in small pieces, and remaining tablespoon Madeira. Season with salt and pepper to taste. spoon over cooked gnocchi or pasta.