Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 medium rabbit, cut up,frying
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 medium onion, cut in four
- whole cloves
- bouquet garni
- 4 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grainy coarse Dijon mustard
- Wipe meat pieces and trim off any fat.
- Heat olive oil and butter or margarine in large skillet until bubbly.
- Add meat pieces and saute on all sides until browned.
- While browning, press whole cloves into onion chunks (generously).
- Add chunks to skillet in between meat pieces; add Bouquet garni.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Generously'slosh' brandy over top (at least 1/2 cup).
- Cook over medium to low heat about 30 minutes or until meat is cooked through.
- Remove meat pieces from pan and keep warm.
- Discard onion chunks, cloves and Bouquet garni.
- Increase heat to medium high.
- Add cream and mustard; cook, stirring constantly until slightly thickened.
- Return meat to pan and coat on all sides with sauce.
- Serve at once.
First things first: the gravy is to die for! My husband having taken charge, made some "secret" changes but I know the major one was using bacon fat along with olive oil. We ate the yummy onion chunks and strained the gravy before serving. It is an elegant dish, which we served with pasta.