Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Based on the prize-winning Brandied Peach Cake recipe. I'm sure some Southern grandmother is rolling over in her grave because of my modifications, but for those of us who can't do a slice of cake with 35 grams of fat and 600 calories, this one may be a more appealing compromise, without losing the moistness (thanks to applesauce) and peach flavor. My son and I made this in 4 mini loaf pans to give as holiday gifts. Grandpa loved it!
- 1 cup dried peaches, chopped
- 1 cup peach brandy
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons reserved peach brandy
- Soak peaches in a closed container in the fridge overnight. Drain when ready to bake and reserve the brandy for the sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly butter/flour a 9x13 pan or 4 mini loaf pans.
- Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk and add vanilla.
- Mix flour, spices and baking powder together.
- In standing mixer or larger mixing bowl with electric beater, beat egg yolks; mix with salt, sugar, oil and applesauce. Mix buttermilk mixture inches.
- Add flour/spice mixture in a bit at a time until well blended on low.
- Add pecans and brandied peaches.
- Beat egg whites separately and fold in gently to batter.
- Pour into 9x13 pan or 4 mini loaf pans.
- Set pan(s) on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes. Cake is done when knife inserted into center comes out almost clean.
- When cake is almost finished baking, assemble ingredients for sauce in saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring slowly frequently, and turn off heat. When cake is finished, pour 2 Tbsp of sauce over each mini loaf and allow to absorb, or 1 Tbsp sauce over each slice of cake.