Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This starter is delicious served as a dip with bread or vegetables. It’s substantial enough to take along on a picnic as a light entrée, along with bread, cheese, strawberries, and a bottle of spicy white wine.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper, drained and finely chopped
- 2 ounces ham, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 2 teaspoons dry unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat, and then sauté onions until they just start to turn tender and translucent – about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, red peppers, ham, and parsley; cook, stirring occasionally for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add Cognac and stir until it has evaporated a bit – about 90 seconds.
- Remove from heat and stir in breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or chilled.