Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Eggnog is so traditional that it is almost mandatory for holiday parties. This mildly alcoholic recipe is rich without being cloying. From Good Food Magazine, December 1988. Preparation time does not include 1 hour to chill.
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups cognac (or other brandy)
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream (or half-and-half)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- freshly grated nutmeg (to garnish)
- Beat egg yolks and sugar in mixer bowl on high speed until pale and light. Reduce speed and gradually mix in Cognac, milk, cream, and vanilla.
- Beat egg whites in clean mixer bowl with clean beaters until stiff but not dry, then gently fold into egg yolk mixture with rubber spatula. Pour into punch bowl. Refrigerate until cold.
- To serve, ladle punch into glasses and sprinkle with grated nutmeg.