Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe came from the back of a package of pre-made crepes I bought many years ago. It's the best custard, very creamy and sweet. It's great all by itself, or to use as a crepe filling (as the title defines). But I've also used it to sweeten up a bowl of fresh fruit. Since I have kids, I usually make this without the Brandy and it's just as good.
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup brandy, room temperature (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a 2-quarter saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, and cornstarch and cook until thickened (or microwave for 5 to 7 minutes).
- Add ¼ of the hot milk mixture to the beaten eggs and blend well.
- Add the egg mixture to the remaining hot milk mixture in the saucepan and add stir over medium heat (or microwave for 2 minutes or until thick). Remove pan from heat; stir in the brandy (if using) and vanilla. Chill completely.
- For use as a crepe filling - Recipe makes enough filling for 10 crepes. Place 3 tablespoons of custard in the center of each crepe. Add about 1/3 cup of sliced strawberries, if you wish. Then gently roll each crepe and place on a plate. Top each crepe with whipping cream and fresh strawberries.
So easy and soooo deliciously delicious!!!! A keeper for sure!:-) Just what i was looking for!
Yes, this filling is incredible -- so delicious! I halved it and most definitely used the brandy :) I used it as a crepe filling and sprinkled the crepes with powdered sugar and a raspberry garnish. Thanks for sharing! ZWT8
Thanks for posting this! It was so easy to make, we really enjoyed it on our crepes this morning. I made it alongside "Berry-Berry Sauce for Pancakes" #303287, and they went together phenomenally! Next time I will make half the recipe, for two of us it was soo much and quite rich. My mistake for not realizing that to begin with! Thanks for sharing!