Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 35 mins
There is an amazing little Cafe here in Phoenix that has the most to die for bread pudding. After looking at a Gourmet Food shop here and not wanting to spend $8.99 for a 8 ounce serving I decided to try and duplicate it. Well here it is. Normally I don't care for the texture of bread pudding but this is just simply amazing. This recipe calls for apples as the fruit but I make it with blackberries.
- 2 (8 ounce) containers fresh blackberries
- 2 apples preferably granny smith apples (if wanting to follow the original recipe)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (if following the original recipe)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 1⁄2 loaves French bread (large loaves not baggettes)
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 raisins
- 3⁄4 cup apricot preserves (I used black berry preserves)
brandy cream sauce
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 ounces brandy
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- If using apples follows these steps.
- Chop apples into small bite sized pieces. Soak apples in lemon juice, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, cover and refrigerate over night before using.
- If using Black Berries follow same steps taking out the lemon juice and just tossing them in the brown sugar and teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove crust from 1 french bread and slice legthwise down the middle, then cut into 8 pieces.
- Pour milk into a small pot and add granulated sugar; bring to a boil.
- Beat eggs, brandy and almond flavoring together.
- Whisk in a little of the hot milk, then add remainder, whisking until mixed together.
- Layer half the bread pieces in a 9 inch square pan.
- Pour half the liquid mixture over it.
- Mash mixture with your hands, then pat down into a layer.
- Mix prepared fruit with nutmeg, remaining cinnamon, remaining brown sugar, some of the remaining milk mixture and raisins.
- Spoon over bread.
- Remove crust from remaining bread in 1 1/2 inch rounds.
- Overlap bread on top of fruit and pour the remaining milk mixture on top.
- Bake 25 minute.
- Glaze with preserves of choice.
- Brandy Cream Sauce.
- Beat cream with brandy and cinnamon until mixture thickens.
- Pour brandy cream sauce over each serving.