Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
There is an amazing little Cafe here in Phoenix that has the most to die for bread pudding. After looking at a Gourmet Food shop here and not wanting to spend $8.99 for a 8 ounce serving I decided to try and duplicate it. Well here it is. Normally I don't care for the texture of bread pudding but this is just simply amazing. This recipe calls for apples as the fruit but I make it with blackberries.
- 2 (8 ounce) containers fresh blackberries
- 2 apples preferably granny smith apples (if wanting to follow the original recipe)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (if following the original recipe)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 1⁄2 loaves French bread (large loaves not baggettes)
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 raisins
- 3⁄4 cup apricot preserves (I used black berry preserves)
brandy cream sauce
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 ounces brandy
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- If using apples follows these steps.
- Chop apples into small bite sized pieces. Soak apples in lemon juice, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, cover and refrigerate over night before using.
- If using Black Berries follow same steps taking out the lemon juice and just tossing them in the brown sugar and teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove crust from 1 french bread and slice legthwise down the middle, then cut into 8 pieces.
- Pour milk into a small pot and add granulated sugar; bring to a boil.
- Beat eggs, brandy and almond flavoring together.
- Whisk in a little of the hot milk, then add remainder, whisking until mixed together.
- Layer half the bread pieces in a 9 inch square pan.
- Pour half the liquid mixture over it.
- Mash mixture with your hands, then pat down into a layer.
- Mix prepared fruit with nutmeg, remaining cinnamon, remaining brown sugar, some of the remaining milk mixture and raisins.
- Spoon over bread.
- Remove crust from remaining bread in 1 1/2 inch rounds.
- Overlap bread on top of fruit and pour the remaining milk mixture on top.
- Bake 25 minute.
- Glaze with preserves of choice.
- Brandy Cream Sauce.
- Beat cream with brandy and cinnamon until mixture thickens.
- Pour brandy cream sauce over each serving.