Prep 30 mins
Cook 240 hrs
these can be made without alchohol too. Just omit that step.
- 50 maraschino cherries, well drained
- 3⁄4 cup brandy
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs dark dipping chocolate
- Pour brandy over drained cherries; let set for two days.
- Combine butter, corn syrup and salt; blend until smooth.
- Add confectioners' sugar and mix well.
- Knead until smooth and shiny; wrap in wax paper and chill for 30 minutes.
- Drain cherries well on paper towels; pat dry.
- Shape a marble-size piece of fondant around each cherry and place on wax paper-lined tray. Chill until firm, about 2 hours.
- Melt chocolate over hot water, stirring constantly.
- Dip cherries quickly and place on wax paper-lined tray.
- Place in refrigerator to set.
- Store in covered container in a cool, dark place for 10 to 14 days to fully ripen allow the fondant to liquify inside.