Prep 8 hrs
Cook 15 mins
This is a wonderful spread. Your guests will love it!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken livers
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 12 ounces Philadelphia Cream Cheese (softened)
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter (softened)
- Rinse the livers in cold water and pat dry with paper towel.
- In a small enough bowl, combine the livers and milk, making sure that the milk covers the livers.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- After the refrigeration, drain the livers well.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the livers, onions, thyme, bay leaves, only 1 teaspoon salt, and the white pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the livers are just slightly pink and the onions are soft, which should take about 5 minutes.
- Carefully add the brandy and cook until the liquid is evaporated and the livers are fully cooked through, but still tender.
- Remove from the heat, and spread onto a large plate to cool.
- After it is cooled to room temperature, transfer to a food processor.
- Add the cream cheese and butter, and process on high speed until smooth.
- Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pulse to blend.
- Line a 5-cup loaf pan or baking dish (8 1/2” by 4 1/2” by 3” deep) with plastic wrap, leaving an overhang of several inches.
- Spoon the mixture into the pan or baking dish, smoothing out with a rubber spatula.
- Wrap the pan or dish with the overhanging wrap and chill until firm, at least 8 hours or overnight.