Prep 2 hrs 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Taste of Home (April/May 2001).
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 package)
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (110-115F)
- 1⁄3 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- 1⁄3 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 3⁄4-2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine boiling water, oil, sugar, and salt; stir well until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in cold water and bran.
- Stir sugar mixture into yeast mixture.
- Add whole wheat flour and 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour; beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (8 minutes).
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top of the dough.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for about an hour, or until doubled.
- Punch the dough down; cover again and let rest for 8 minutes.
- Shape into a loaf, and place the dough in a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Cover and let rise for 45 minutes, or until doubled.
- Bake in a 350F preheated oven for 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.