Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Epicurious.com, January 2003, these are amazing...my all-time favorite bran muffin!!!! Credit goes to Judith Cadigan of Swarthmore, PA. You can keep the batter in the refrigerator and make a batch or a single muffin when the mood strikes... Batter keeps in an airtight container, chilled, 1 month. Baked muffins keep in an airtight container 3 days. • If you're not baking a full pan of muffins, fill empty muffin cups three-fourths full with water.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups all-bran cereal, 100% bran (I use All-Bran)
- 1 cup Raisin Bran cereal
- 1 cup Grape-nuts cereal
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 quart buttermilk, well shaken
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F Generously butter muffin cups. (You'll need a muffin pan with 1-cup capacity muffins.).
- Whisk together flours, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, then stir in oats, cereals, and raisins. Whisk together butter, buttermilk, sugars, and eggs in another bowl, then add to cereal mixture and stir until just combined. (Batter will be very thick.).
- Spoon 1/3 cup batter into each muffin cup and bake in middle of oven until golden and a tester comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and cool on a rack.