Top Review by Chiquita1957
I too have used this recipe since the early 80s and it is failproof. I mistakenly left the brown sugar out one time and they turned out fine. I never used the brown sugar again. I tend to use canola rather than shortening and that too lends itself to a nice muffin.
Another nice variation is to omit the molasses, and make the bran mixture a half and half concoction of wheat bran and wheat germ. Also very good. The variations are endless.
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400*F. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
- Cream together shortening and sugar.
- Add molasses and eggs, beating well.
- Add milk and bran.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the wet mixture.
- Stir in raisins, if using.
- Divide among the muffin tins and bake for 18 - 20 minutes.