Recipe by Sproutie69
These Muffins are high fiber and good for you. A good light breakfast or snack. The Batter needs to sit in Fridge 24 HOURS before using. My sister-in-law gave me this recipe. -On occasion I have substituted Ezekiel bran cereal with raisins instead of plain bran and I used lemon curd instead of orange marmalade. I have also used coconut oil in place of the veg oil, this will solidify quickly but it still turned out yummy. If you don't have buttermilk just mix 1 cup milk, 1 tsp vinegar/ or lemon juice wait 5 min. and now its buttermilk. This batter will last 30 days in fridge in case you don't need bake this all at once. My 2 year loves it when I make mini muffins that fit in her hand.
- 1 (15 ounce) box all-bran cereal
- 2 cups raisins
- 6 pitted dates, finely chopped
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine cereal, raisins and chopped dates, pour in boiling water and stir until softened -- set aside.
- In another Large bowl mix flour, baking soda and salt.make well in center and set aside.
- In food processor combine 1 cup of the buttermilk, eggs and marmalade, puree until smooth.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into separate large bowl and add the remaining cup of buttermilk, applesauce, sugar, vegetable oil and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Pour buttermilk mixture into well in flour mixture and stir just until blended, add reserve cereal mixture and stir just to combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap and REFRIGERATE 24 HOURS before using.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray muffin tins with nonstick spray. Silicone pans are great to use.
- Spoon batter 2/3rds full.
- Bake to golden brown and puffy 20- 25 minutes.
- Let cool 2 minutes then remove muffins from pan.