Recipe by GrandmaIsCooking
--Adopted Recipe-- Note: Preparation time does not include the 6 hours standing time in refrigerator.
- 1 cup water
- 3 1⁄2 cups oat bran or 3 1⁄2 cups wheat bran
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sour milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix water with 1 cup bran.
- Sift flour with baking soda.
- In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy.
- Add sugar 1/2 cup at a time, beating after each addition.
- Blend in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Scrape sides of bowl often.
- Stir in flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time, alternating with butter/sour milk, added 1/2 cup at a time also.
- Stir in soaked bran and the remaining bran cereal.
- Cover and store in refrigerator at least 6 hours before baking.
- To bake muffins, heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease 2 1/2-inch Muffin Cups.
- Stir batter gently.
- Fill each muffin cup with about 1/4 c batter.
- Bake about 20 minutes, or until nicely browned.
- Remove from pan and serve hot with butter.