Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These muffins are so good with a cup of coffee in the morning and are fairly healthy besides. Recipe Source: Bon Appetit (November 1984)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or 1/2 white and 1/2 whole wheat)
- 1 cup bran flakes
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (or other dried fruit)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prepare muffin tins by lining with paper liners or spray with cooking spray.
- Combine first 6 ingredients (flour- salt) in a large bowl stirring with a wooden spoon.
- In a small bowl combine remaining ingredients (egg- vinegar). Set aside.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add egg mixture. Stir with wooden spoon to combine.
- Spoon mixture into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until done.
These are very good with a cup of coffee! I made with all whole-wheat flour, and you definitely know you're eating something healthy! They were a little dry, but that was OK for me as I wanted and was expecting a healthful breakfast treat. I did add both raisins and nuts, and used canola instead of safflower oil, (not sure how that affects the health value!)