Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Mother in law gave this recipe to me. The muffins are high and fiber and tasty. Can substitute any dried fruit (or omit) for raisins. Or use 1 cup sugar instead of the honey.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco
- 3 cups Kellogg's all-bran cereal
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pour boiling water over the bran cereal.
- Stir together flour, soda and salt.
- Cream sugar, crisco and honey.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla, cinnamon (nutmeg or any other spices).
- Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk.
- Add the bran cereal.
- Bake in muffin tins at 400 degrees fro 15 to 20 minutes.
The recipie does not have buttermilk listed, but it says to add it in the instructions.
One thing I meant to add to the recipe is that it is very versatile. Use any dried fruit or none. I have even used choc. chips. Instead of 7/8 C of honey, you can use a cup of sugar. If you use dried fruit, you may want to cut back on the sugar or honey. It is really up to you. Also, you may not have to sift the whole wheat flour. If you do, unless you dump the "remains" back in, you will remove some fiber.