Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Makes a fairly large batch. Freeze great.
- 2 cups boiling water
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups dates, chopped
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups flour
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 6 cups all-bran cereal (I use 3 cups bran flakes & 3 cups all bran)
- In bowl pour boiling water over dates and baking soda.
- Let cool.
- Cream together shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs, salt, flour.
- Blend well.
- Alternate flour with buttermilk.
- Stir in cereal.
- Put into muffin tins lined with paper cups.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
- Muffins can be stored in refrigerator several weeks or in freezer, then taken out as needed.
joyce brown from hope lodge makes these but not the dates they can stay in frig for a week and you can make as many as you want she uses bran buds