Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Low calorie/fat delicious bran muffins
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular or 24 (1 g) packets Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the wheat bran and milk in a mixing bowl. Let stand 2 minutes or until most of the moisture is absorbed. Add the egg whites and applesauce. Beat until well blended. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the bran mixture and stir just until all are moistened. Spoon batter into muffin cups (3/4 full) and bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve hot.
Great recipe even though I altered it quite a bit. I didn't have enough wheat bran left, I only had 1/2 c., so I added 1/2 c. quick cooking oatmeal to the mix. I used regular sugar, only 1 egg white and 1/2 t. salt. Then I felt I should add 1 T. molasses and a 1/2 t. cinnamon. The result was a perfectly domed muffin with a nice crispy outer layer. Delicious and only 2 WW pts per muffin!