Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Bran Muffins that are wonderful for breakfast or for a snack.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 cups Raisin Bran cereal
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Set aside.
- Measure cereal and milk into large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Let stand 1 to 2 minutes, until cereal is softened.
- Add egg and shortening. Beat well.
- Add flour mixture, stirring only until combined.
- Portion batter evenly into 12 baking cups.
- Bake in a 400°F oven for about 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
I picked this recipe to make as a 4H project. This easy to make. It is really good. It tastes even better if you spread butter on it.
This is a yummy, easy recipe for breakfast muffins. I used 2 3/4 c bran flakes plus 1/2 c raisins (I didn't have raisin bran cereal) and I substituted a stick of melted margarine for the shortening. I also added a teaspoon of cinnamon and a teaspoon of vanilla. The taste is really great so I'm glad I added the vanilla and cinnamon and the margarine gave the muffin a nice buttery flavor, too. The texture is wonderfully chewy without being heavy. Best when right out of the oven or warmed slightly in the microwave. One thing to make note of is to be sure and spray your muffin cups well with Pam before filling with the batter. I'm uploading a picture, too. Thanks for the great recipe!
Good muffins. I mixed several kinds of cereal - All Bran, some Frosted Flakes, crumbs of Frosted Mini Wheats, and added some plump large raisins. I sprinkled a little cinnamon in the flour and used brown sugar. I also subbed part of the margarine with applesauce.