Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Classic breakfast muffin
- 1 1⁄2 cups natural bran
- 1⁄3 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- Place the bran in a bowl and stir in the boiling water. Set aside.
- Cream the butter with the brown sugar.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and molasses and beat until well blended.
- Add the bran and beat until combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk or stir together, the flour, oats, cinnamon, orange zest, salt, baking soda and powder.
- Mix together the half-and-half and buttermilk.
- Add the flour mixture, alternately with the wet ingredients, to the bran mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Cover and place the batter in the refrigerator until chilled (this can be chilled overnight).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- Fill the muffin cups, using two spoons or an ice cream scoop, about 3/4 full and
- Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.