Recipe by Impera_Magna
This is a neat recipe I obtained from The Frugal Gourmet Jeff Smith's TV show. It makes a lot but then it keeps for 6 wks in the frig. Also you can make as few or as many as you'd like! I baked an entire batch for a teachers' appreciation luncheon at my children's school and I rec'd many positive comments on them.
Top Review by wattsie1958
I have been making these bran muffins for over 20 years. My youngest son (who never ate anything) loves these bran muffins. He is now in his mid twenties and still loves them to this day. They are fantastic.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups boiling water
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 5 cups flour
- 2 cups 40% bran flakes
- 4 cups all-bran cereal
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix 2 c boiling water and 5 t baking soda, let cool.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and blend well.
- Add buttermilk alternatively w/ flour, mixing well.
- Add baking soda/water mixture.
- Blend in bran flakes and All Bran.
- Store in frig at least 24 hours before using.
- To make muffins: Spoon batter into greased (or paper-lined) muffin tins; bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- NOTE: Batter will keep in frig for 6 wks.