Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mother-in-law makes these muffins, and they are delicious. She adds 1/4 cup flax seeds, and then increase buttermilk to 1 cup. She has also decreases the oil to about 1 tsp, and adds apple sauce (the ones that come in a cup. The recipe as posted is from Company's Coming Muffins and More cookbook.
- Measure all dry ingredients into bowl. Mix in raisins.
- in another bowl beat egg until frothy.
- Add oil, molasses, buttermilk and vanilla, and beat to mix.
- pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients, and stir just enough to moisten.
- Spoon onto greased muffin tins, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake in 375 F oven for 20 minutes.
This recipe comes from the Company's Coming "Muffins & More" cookbook. We have been making these muffins for years - my Dad's favourite. I always double all the indredients EXCEPT for the brown sugar & molasses (to make them a little healthier) - you don't miss the added sweetness at all. I never have buttermilk on hand, so sour the milk by using a Tblsp. of vinegar & adding milk to make 1 1/2 cups. I bake @ 325 degrees just until done - don't over cook!!! The time depends on how big the muffins are - but approx. 20 - 25 min.