Recipe by beccca
Low sugar bran and flax muffins - recipe taken from the back of Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed meal. I have reduced the sugar to 1/2 cup honey and used skim milk for a low sugar and fat muffin.
Top Review by cUte Kitty pUnk
very tasty. I made it without the raisins and nuts but next time i will add them b/c i think it needs the sweetness from the raisins... they are good i like that they are not too sweet so you don't eat them all at once - it's easy to eat only a few a day and that's good for me.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose or regular whole wheat or other flour of your choice)
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour (same as above)
- 3⁄4 cup flax seed meal
- 3⁄4 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 peeled and shredded apples (chunky is good)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together flour, flaxseed meal, oat bran, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- In seperate bowl mix carrots, apples, raisins, nuts and honey.
- Combine skim milk, beaten eggs and vanilla.
- Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Stir until ingredients are moistened. DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake for 14-20 minutes.