Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are moist and flavorful, just pleasantly sweet. The recipe makes quite a lot of muffins, but the batter will keep in the fridge for up to 6 weeks. From the back of a box of Sun-Maid Zante Currants. I'm sure raisins or other dried fruits would work as well, but the currants are delightful.
- 3 cups whole all-bran cereal (I use All Bran)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried currants
- Place bran cereal in a large mixing bowl. Pour in buttermilk, water and oil - stir well and let sit for a few minutes for the bran to soften.
- Mix in eggs and brown sugar.
- Add dry ingredients all at once, stir in just enough to combine.
- Fold in currants.
- This will make about 30 muffins, so grease as many muffin tins as you need and fill the cups 2/3 full.
- Bake at 375 for about 17-20 minutes (depending on how your oven behaves).
- Store remaining batter in a tightly-covered container in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks.
Wonderful muffins! Made as directed except used dried blueberries and cranberries in place of currants. Thanks, Pattikay! Made for Aussie New Zealand Swap #16.