Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I altered this recipe but I got the original recipe from a Bran Buds cereal box. I made these into extra high fibre and lower fat & sugar muffins, that are really tasty.
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran (QUAKER)
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups bran buds (Kellogg's All Bran cereal preferred)
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup mashed banana (about 1 small)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400F and lightly spray muffin pans with cooking spray or line with cupcake papers.
- Stir together first 7 ingredients, and Splenda; set aside.
- In large bowl, stir together cereal, water and let stand 5 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Mix sugar into softened cereal until well combined.
- Stir in milk and mashed banana.
- Add egg than gradually stir in flour, until combined.
- Stir in nuts.
- Portion into 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until tops are golden brown and spring back when lightly touched.
This is a 10 star recipe. I did use Oat Bran instead of Wheat Bran because our stores seem to carry only the Oat. Instead of water, used unsweetened apple juice. The next times I make these I will try dried fruits - apple bits - different kinds of nuts. Maybe also, a bit more spice. All in all, these muffins are a true winner. Try them, you will love them. I filled cupcake liners almost full and got 14. Took 22 minutes to bake up perfectly.
Excellent recipe! I added some dried cranberries and used just a little bit more of the brown sugar instead of the Splenda (I hate artificial sweeteners) and they came out great! These muffins freeze really well so you can always have them on hand. After searching high and low, this recipe had the most fiber per muffin without too much sugar or fat. A real winner!
This muffin receipe is just what I have been looking for. It is next to impossible to find a high fibre muffin receipe that tastes good. This is terrific and I am truly thankful that I have found this receipe with 7.6 grams of fibre and tastes wonderful. Jackie