Recipe by precious
I altered this recipe but I got the original recipe from a Bran Buds cereal box. I made these into extra high fibre and lower fat & sugar muffins, that are really tasty.
Top Review by Gloria in Tampa
This is a 10 star recipe. I did use Oat Bran instead of Wheat Bran because our stores seem to carry only the Oat. Instead of water, used unsweetened apple juice. The next times I make these I will try dried fruits - apple bits - different kinds of nuts. Maybe also, a bit more spice. All in all, these muffins are a true winner. Try them, you will love them. I filled cupcake liners almost full and got 14. Took 22 minutes to bake up perfectly.
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran (QUAKER)
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups bran buds (Kellogg's All Bran cereal preferred)
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup mashed banana (about 1 small)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400F and lightly spray muffin pans with cooking spray or line with cupcake papers.
- Stir together first 7 ingredients, and Splenda; set aside.
- In large bowl, stir together cereal, water and let stand 5 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Mix sugar into softened cereal until well combined.
- Stir in milk and mashed banana.
- Add egg than gradually stir in flour, until combined.
- Stir in nuts.
- Portion into 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until tops are golden brown and spring back when lightly touched.