Recipe by keeney
Very low fat, and tasty too! From marthastewart.com
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made these for breakfast the other day & they were wonderful, especially when fresh out of the oven (of course)! I liked the inclusion of the prune juice, but even more was the flavor combo of the currants & molasses! Thanks for a very nice muffin keeper recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees at the tail end of the current PAC]
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup unprocessed wheat bran
- 1⁄2 cup prune juice
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 3 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400. Lightly oil nine standard size muffin cups, or line them with paper liners.
- Combine wheat bran, prune juice, yogurt, currants, molasses, oil, egg, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Stir dry ingredients into the bran mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Spoon batter into muffin cup, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Turn muffins out of pan, and let them cool on a rack.
- Per serving: 187 calories, 7 g. fat, 24 mg. cholesterol, 26 g carbohydrate, 200 mg. sodium, 7 g protein, 6 g. dietary fibre.