Recipe by Jan in Lanark
For any of you lucky enough to have access to wild leeks. Based on a recipe from Harrowsmith. Very simple.
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim the leeks like you would a green onion, retaining the bulb and the leaves.
- Rinse thoroughly to wash away any trapped dirt and chop the leaves coarsely.
- Pour just enough water in a 10 inch pan to cover the base.
- Add the leeks, butter and maple syrup to the water and bring to a boil.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and steam until all the water evaporates.
- Remove the lid from the pan and sauté for a few more minutes until the leeks are tender.
- When ready to serve, the leaves will look(and taste) like cooked spinach.