Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from Morey Amsterdam's Benny Cooker Crock Book. Although the title comes from a joke from Amsterdam's night club act, the recipes are all genuine. This dish goes well with lamb, beef or chicken. I prefer a bit less salt and a bit more pepper.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large onions, cut in slices about 2-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- Combine oil and butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Heat together over high heat until butter is melted.
- Add onions and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and broth.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Add Bourbon and cook until the sauce is slightly reduced.
wow oh wow these were good i need to make up a burger recipe just for these onions i made for 1 but was really sorry THANK YOU made for southern leg of the tour cakepops on parade
So delicious! This dish was simple to make and the flavors were outstanding. I cut it in half and used small-medium onions, I should have reduced the oil/butter a bit more as they were a bit oily as they cooled, but that is my fault not the recipe. I used a beef demi glace for the stock and had accidentally added the bourbon before the 10 minute simmer (which I did longer because I wasn't paying close attention) . You couldn't taste the bourbon at all, at that point, so I added another splash and cooked them for a few more minutes. The flavor isn't overtly bourbony but very rich and savory with a touch of sweetness. I served the onions with pan grilled albacore, which was a great pairing. Thanks for sharing! Made for Culinary Quest 2014 Cruisin' Culinary Queens.
I really enjoyed this recipe. I had to make some additions, sliced peppers and mushrooms so they would not spoil. The flavore blended beautifully and were better the next day. Thank you.