Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I found this recipe on familyoven.com. I am posting here for safekeeping.
Make and share this Braised Veal Shanks With Rosemary and Thyme recipe from Food.com.
- all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄4 lbs center-cut veal shanks, about 6 1-inch thick pieces
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 5 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 large fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken stock or 1 3⁄4 cups one 14 1/2-ounce can low sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place all purpose flour in shallow bowl. Sprinkle both sides of veal shank pieces with salt and pepper. Dredge each veal piece in flour, shaking off excess.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in heavy large ovenproof pot over medium-high heat. Add veal pieces to pot, arranging in single layer, and sautéuntil brown, about 6 minutes per side.
- Using tongs, transfer veal pieces to plate.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to pot. Add onion, carrot, celery, thyme sprigs, rosemary sprig and bay leaf and sautéuntil vegetables brown, about 12 minutes.
- Season vegetables to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place veal atop cooked vegetables in pot and pour chicken stock over. Bring to simmer; cover and place in oven.
- Cook until veal is very tender, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Transfer 1 veal piece to each of 6 plates. Spoon excess fat off sauce, if desired.
- Spoon sauce and vegetables over veal and serve immediately.