Recipe by KittyKitty
I have said it alot, I love veal, and making things in the slow cooker, makes it so simple.If you like, you can use beef shanks. You may have to request the shanks from your butcher, at least where I live, they aren't always available.This dish is also known as ossobuco
- 4 lbs veal shanks
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim excess fat from veal shanks. Coat veal with flour. Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook veal in oilabout 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides; drain.
- Place veal in 5 to 6 quart slow cooker. Mix remaining ingredients; pour over veal.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 8-10 hours or until veal is very tender and pulls away from bones.
- Remove veal and vegetables from cooker, using slotted spoon; place on serving plate. Skim fat from juices in cooker. Pour juices over veal and vegetables.