Recipe by Pietro
A tasty veal casserole with pasta and olives. It is simple to make and full of rich flavours.
- 4 red peppers
- 250 g english spinach
- 900 g boneless veal steaks
- 60 ml olive oil
- 300 g onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 450 g tomato puree
- 80 ml dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup soup pasta
- 120 g black olives
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut red peppers into quarters. remove seeds and membranes. Grill peppers, skin side up until skin blisters and blackens. Peel away skin.
- Place spinach leaves over each veal steak, top with red peppers. Roll veal tightly and secure with toothpicks.
- Heat in a heavy pan, 2 tablespoons of oil. Add veal in batches, cook until browned all over, remove and drain on paper towel.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan, add finely chopped onion and crushed garlic. Cook, stirring until soft.
- Add puree, wine, sugar and veal. Simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Add pasta and pitted black olives, simmer, covered for a further 7 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Serve veal sliced, with sauce and sprinkled with shredded fresh basil.
- Any small pasta can be used.