1/1 Photo of Braised Turkey Legs With Wild Mushroom Stuffing
2 hrs 30 mins
E. Nigma's Note:
During Thanksgiving turkeys were on sale at my supermarket for less than $5, so I couldn't resist getting an extra one, and I wanted to prepare it in a different way. This is a deliciously different way to prepare turkey, created by Wolfgang Punk. Slow braising the turkey makes for a succulent result. I've recreated the recipe here, using less exotic ingredients (foie gras was originally used). The original also called for roasting the turkey breast along side the leg portions, but there was nothing original in that (you basically just roast it until it's 165 degrees internally), so I left that part out.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Wild Mushroom Stuffing
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 loaves dried bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb bacon, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 3 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper
- 1First prepare the stuffing by melting butter in saute pan. Poor over bread cubes. Set aside.
- 2Rinse dried porcini and soak in warm water for 15 minutes Drain and chop, reserving liquid.
- 3Heat olive oil in saute pan over medium heat and add onions, celery, and bacon. Cook until vegetables become translucent. Add porcini, fresh mushrooms, reserved mushroom liquid and stock. Cook over medium heat and reduce until almost dry.
- 4Add vegetables to bread cubes along with parsley, sage, rosemary, and beaten eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- 5Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 6Now prepare turkey leg & thigh sections by removing bones, silver skin, and all tendons. With skin side down, cover with plastic wrap and pound out evenly. Season inside with salt and pepper.
- 7Add 8 ounces of mushroom stuffing evenly across middle section. Roll into a tight cylinder. Tie with butcher's string. Season outside with salt and pepper. Heat a roasting pan and add olive oil. Sear meat until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- 8Add carrots, celery, onion and rosemary and cook until brown. Deglaze with chicken stock. Bring to a boil and add turkey. Cover roasting pan with foil and braise in oven for about 2 hours and until internal temperature is 130 degrees.
- 9Remaining stuffing may be added to a buttered gratin dish and baked in the 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- 10Remove foil and finish roasting to get color on the meat, until internal temperature is 140 degrees. Remove legs, set aside on platter, and cover with foil until ready to slice.
- 11Add 2 cups of pomegranate juice to the braising liquid and simmer for 10 minutes then puree the sauce through a food mill or a with a blender. The vegetables will thicken the sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 12Slice the turkey into half-inch portions and serve with sauce.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Turkey Legs With Wild Mushroom Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (679 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 870.4
- Calories from Fat 542
- Total Fat 60.3 g
- Saturated Fat 19.1 g
- Cholesterol 347.3 mg
- Sodium 776.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 65.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: